Sunday, January 22, 2012

Why write a blog.


Why should I write a blog?  Answer:  Out of boredom.  Not my boredom, but the probability that my wife may become bored with my continued sharing of opinions on various topics including politics, society and, most of all, the church.

Another reason to write a blog is to keep my own creative skills active.  After over four decades in active ministry, most of which has been in the pulpit, retirement has left few opportunities to set my thoughts and opinions into coherent pieces.

An additional reason to write a blog is to offer an additional voice to many of the discussions that take place on various topics.  Letters to the editor have a low percentage of being published.  Even self-publishing has a limited audience.  But, writing for the world of electronic communication can have a far greater audience from people in our neighborhood to friends on the other side of the globe.

There are two obvious advantages to writing for electronic publication.  First, it is environmentally responsible.  No trees were destroyed to publish this blog.  This blog did not even require any recycled materials.  Second, it is not time bound.  I have the flexibility of writing at anytime of day, any day of the week.  The reader – I hope more than one – has the flexibility to read these words at anytime of the day, any day of the week.

A not so obvious advantage involves the multi-language nature of our world.  I may have studied French, Greek and Hebrew; but English is the language on my thoughts and words.  But with tools such a Babel Fish, language is not an insurmountable barrier to communication.

So, here begins the blog of a son, brother, husband, father, preacher, teacher and, as one of my colleagues called me, “the quintessential Grandpa.”

Oh, yes, there is one other advantage.  For one who flunked spelling in the 7th and 8th grades, the spell checking and correction functions of computer programs are absolutely essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment